Sheffield is one of only nine universities across the UK selected to take part in a pilot funding programme of postgraduate scholarships. Sheffield has been selected due to its track record in research excellence and proven success in attracting promising postgraduate students. The Wolfson Foundation has awarded us three scholarships for 2013-14 entry, which have been match-funded by the University to offer six Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities.
The Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships will be available in the broad subject areas of history, literature and languages. The scholarships will be awarded to outstanding students who demonstrate the potential to make an impact on one of these fields and to be future academic leaders. They will be awarded solely on merit to students aspiring to an academic career.
The Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships pay:
- tuition fees
- an annual, tax-free maintenance stipend, currently £15,000
- a Research Training Support Grant (currently £5,500 per year) for study visits, conferences, books, consumables and equipment.
- You should have a strong academic record, including a first class or upper second class undergraduate degree and a Masters degree in a field of study relevant to your research (or equivalent qualifications).
- You should be applying to start your first year of study on a full-time or part-time PhD with the University in the 2013-14 academic year (i.e. after 1st August 2013, exact start date to be agreed with your supervisor/ department) on a project which falls into one of the broad categories of history, literature or languages.
- Awards are open to UK, EU and international applicants.
- Discuss your research plans with the relevant academic department.
- Apply for admission to the University. We advise you to apply for admission as early as possible, and at least a week before the scholarship application deadline in order to receive your application number in plenty of time – you will need this to apply for a scholarship.
- Once you have received an application number, complete the online scholarship application form.
Closing date for 2013-14 entry is 12 noon (UK time), 1st February 2013.
You can expect to hear if your scholarship application has been successful by early May 2013.
If you have any questions please see our FAQs or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, please visit : official website