- Any full-time MPhil/PhD programme where the student will be working on some aspect of Japanese Studies.
- Part-time programmes are not eligible.
- Current PhD students at SOAS, or newly enrolling full-time MPhil students are eligible. Newly enrolling MPhil students will be given preference.
- Applicant must possess an MA degree from SOAS or an equivalent institution in a relevant subject.
- Candidates must have an offer of admission. Where a formal letter of offer for a place to study is pending, a letter from the candidate’s potential SOAS supervisor will be required.
- Open to UK/EU and overseas applicants.
- MPhil candidates will be assessed on academic merit and the strength of their proposal.
- PhD candidates will be assessed on academic merit, the results of their research during the previous year and proposal.
- Some consideration will be given for financial need.
- Scholarship Applications must be received no later than 17:00 (GMT) on 24 May 2013.
- Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicants applying for scholarships must also submit an application for admission well in advance. Please note that complete applications for admission can take up to 4 weeks to be considered by the Department, although this duration can vary depending on the time of year. You should be prepared to wait up to 6 weeks in busy periods.
Notification of Results
All candidates will be notified by e-mail regarding the outcome of their application, generally by mid-July. Successful candidates will also be notified by letter. If you have not heard from us by mid-July, please contact the Scholarships Officer.
An application form is available for download or can be obtained from:
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7074 5094/5091
For more information, please visit : official website