International Fellowships Programme, Japanese Association of University Women, Japan
Japanese Association of University Women (JAUW) is now calling for Applications for its 2013-14 International Fellowships.
This program is to offer core funding to financially help you come and stay in Japan when you have found that it is preferable or very important for you to stay in Japan to further pursue your ongoing study / research.
- You are a woman of any nationality but Japanese, living outside Japan at the time of application.
- You have received a Master’s degree or its equivalent, and presently work outside academia, or you are a student/researcher higher than MA /its equivalent academic attainment (typically of pre-doctoral or dissertation level). Postdoctoral researchers may apply but they may be placed lower in priority.
- You have to submit, at the time of application, an acceptance letter from the prospective host university/institution in Japan or of your prospective supervisor of the said university / institution. You have to get the said letter by yourself. JAUW will not extend any help regarding to this matter.
- You have to explain in your proposal that your ongoing study / research is pursued in Japan academically / technically better than in any other place.
- You have to state clearly in your proposal how and in what aspect you will contribute to your home country through your study / research in Japan.
- Up to two fellowships will be awarded under this Program.
- The amount of grant will range from ¥700,000 to ¥1,000,000 per grantee, taking into consideration the duration of your stay in Japan and various other factors.
- This grant is for 5 to 6 months between September 2013 and March 2014.
- One third of the total amount will be paid at the time of your arrival in Japan. The rest will normally be paid within 40 days after the initial payment. However, the latter amount (i.e. two thirds of the total) may be payable in two or three installments, taking into account various circumstances surrounding the grantee in Japan.
- If selected, you must:
- engage in the proposed study/research for which the grant is awarded,
- submit a written summary report of 500 to 700 words by the end of funding period,
- make an oral presentation based on the above report toward the end of funding period at a meeting held by JAUW
- Applications must be submitted using the official forms, downloaded from JAUW homepage.
- All entries of the Application Forms must be single spaced, and typed in English. The format must be kept as specified in each form.
International Fellowship Committee
Japanese Association of University Women
11-6-101 Samoncho, Shinjuku-ku,
WARNING: We do not accept applications by e-mail. Applications sent by e-mail will not be reviewed.
Announcement of Results
The winners of this fellowship will be notified by e-mail in early June, 2013. At the end of June, their names will be made public on the JAUW web-site. We will send e-mail notifying the results to all the other applicants by around June 20 JST.
YOU ARE REQUIRED TO SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS
- three recommendation letters: each letter should be enclosed in a sealed envelope and signed by the writer.
- medical certificate: issued by a qualified medical doctor certifying that you are healthy enough to do your study in Japan for proposed period.
- an acceptance letter of your supervisor/partner etc. at host institution
- a copy of your passport-sized photo. Be sure to write your full name on the other side.
- All the Application materials (i.e. Part 1 and Part 2 of Application Form), and the required supporting documents (see the last page of this Instructions )must be typed in English. Any of the Application materials, if hand-written, and/or if written in any other language(s), will not be reviewed.
- Please be sure that all the Application materials inclusive of the recommendation letters and the medical certificate must be placed in one single packet to send to JAUW.
- Applications must arrive by April 10, 2013. Application materials received later than that date will be excluded from the review.