The Graduate Studies in International Affairs program offers up to four Hedley Bull Scholarships each year for full-time study in the Master of Arts (International Relations) commencing in semester one. Applicants must meet the admission requirements of the Master of Arts (International Relations).
When applying for the MA (International Relations), eligible applicants for the Hedley Bull Scholarship should include a covering letter indicating their interest in being considered for the scholarship and making the case for being granted one. The covering letter together with the application for the MA (International Relations) (including transcripts and three academic references) will be considered as the full application for the scholarship. There is no need to provide a separate application. The scholarship provides a full-fee waiver for three full-time sessions (semesters). This amounts to 48 units of graduate coursework and a 24-unit thesis session.
MA (International Relations) (MAIR) and Master of International Affairs (MIA)
Applicants for the MAIR and MIA should normally have obtained at least a Distinction average in their bachelor degree, or the equivalent. The degree should be in any discipline of the social sciences or the humanities. Those with a bachelor degree with Distinction average in a non-cognate discipline will be admitted to the Master’s Foundation program for a semester. As a guide, Distinction refers to an A/B+ average, 2(1) Honours in the British system, and 14/20 in the French system.
Graduate Diploma in International Affairs (GDIA) and Graduate Certificate in International Relations (GCIR)
Applicants for the GDIA and the GCIR should normally have obtained a Bachelor degree with a Credit average. Although a degree in the social sciences would be an advantage, degrees in other areas will be considered.
All domestic applications for the graduate coursework qualifications must be made through the Universities Admissions Centre (UAC). The UAC code for the qualifications are:
- 832903 / 835903 — Graduate Certificate in International Relations
- 832902 / 833902 / 835902 — Graduate Diploma in International Affairs
- 832901 / 833901 / 835901 — Master of International Affairs
- 832900 / 835900 — Master of Arts (International Relations)
- 832949 — Master of International Affairs / Master of Diplomacy
- 047930C — Master of Arts (International Relations) / Master of Diplomacy
Attach to your completed online application form, scanned certified copies of the following documents,
- copies of full academic transcripts (bring originals when enrolling)
- English language proficiency test results (in accordance with Admission Requirements see below)
- list at least one academic referee on your application form who we can contact by email.
Graduate Studies in International Affairs
Department of International Relations
School of International, Political & Strategic Studies
Hedley Bull Centre, Building 130
The Australian National University
Canberra ACT 0200, Australia
fax +61 2 6125 7693
phone +61 2 6125 3793
Closing date for receipt of complete application for scholarship (to commence the MA(IR) in February 2013): 31 October 2012
For more information, please visit official website