International Development Scholarship, University of East London, UK
The Scholarship will be offered annually and is the product of a partnership between International Students House, one of London’s largest residences for International Students, and the University of East London, a global learning community with over 28,000 students from over 120 countries world-wide.
To be eligible for the International Development Scholarship, applicants must:
- Have an international offer letter for the MSc NGO and Development Management Programme at UEL
- Be from a developing or emerging country.
- Intend to return to their home country on completion of the course in order to put their studies into practice
- Be able to demonstrate that they would otherwise be unable to pursue the course for financial reasons
The Scholarship will include the following:
- Return flights (Booked by UEL)
- Tuition Fees
- Accommodation*: Single room accommodation at ISH
- Food*: 2 or 3 meals a day at ISH, the remaining meals covered by subsistence
- Subsistence(including travel)*: £450 per month
University of East London (UEL)
University of East London (UEL) is a modern university, recognised for its excellence in teaching and research across a range of subjects. Our campuses are both in London, situated near Europe’s financial hub, Canary Wharf, and the London 2012 Olympic Park. We have over 28,000 students from 110 countries studying on our courses. With impressive new facilities, a wide range of teaching expertise and specialist support services, UEL is an excellent choice for international students. The UEL International team will look after you from the time you start the application process right through to graduation when you become an alumnus.
International Students House (ISH)
ISH is an extraordinary place for international students who are studying in London. It offers a culturally diverse environment where students from all over the world come to live together, share each others cultural experiences and enjoy the full programme of social and recreational activities that the House has to offer. ISH’s goal is to promote global friendship, trust and education for all, this is why there is a scholarship programme, to allow students with potential the opportunity to study in London where ordinarily they would not have the resources to do so.
Conditions of Scholarship
The University at its sole discretion reserves the right to allocate and administer the scholarship award as appropriate and conditions may be subject to change.
- The scholar must enrol on the MSc NGO and Development Management Programme for the intake stated on their Scholarship Offer Letter. The Scholarship cannot be deferred.
- The scholar must comply with the terms and conditions of admittance and the University’s Regulations, including our Attendance Policy. Where there is a failure to comply then the scholarship award may be withdrawn in whole or part.
- The scholar will be expected to complete their programme of study successfully within the time frame outlined on their Scholarship Offer Letter. The scholarship award does not cover additional costs for any re-takes of module/s.
- The scholar will be expected to participate in current and future promotional activities and as such will be interviewed and photographed by the UEL marketing department. The scholar will also contribute from time to time to the promotion of UEL by supporting events organised for scholars and events organised by the International Office. The scholar agrees no payment will be made by the University to the scholar for their participation in promotional activities.
- The scholar assigns to the University any intellectual property or other rights which are created as part of the promotional material.
- Scholars will be expected to donate up to 10 hours per month of service to ISH or UEL International in some way, such as representing ISH at events.
- Accommodation is a single occupancy room in ISH halls of residence. It will be the scholar’s responsibility to accept the room offer within the specified time frame. The award will not cover any alternative accommodation and no payment in lieu will be made where the ISH single occupancy room is not occupied. Scholars are not expected to bring family members to the UK, by nature of the eligibility criteria with regards to financial hardship.
- Food will be provided for up to 12 months. The scholar will be provided with a ‘top up card’ for meals at ISH. All additional meals are to be paid for using the monthly subsistence allowance. No payment will be made in lieu of food vouchers that are not used.
- The scholar will be provided with £450 per month for subsistence, for up to 12 months, to cover travel, meals at UEL and other living expenses.
- Return flights to the UK from the scholar’s country of residence will be booked by UEL. Flights for the return journey will be booked for within a month of the programme end date.
Where necessary under UK Border Agency (UKBA) regulations, scholars will be required to apply for prior entry clearance (Tier 4 General Student). Student immigration requirements for entry into the UK are operated on a points based system. Scholars must ensure that they meet all the requirements for entry within their application, in line with the UKBA’s Tier 4 Policy Guidance. Scholars should only proceed with their acceptance of the award if they are confident that they meet these requirements. A letter will be provided to the scholar by UEL for use in the Tier 4 application process, as evidence of maintenance. The scholarship award will not be made, or if made will be withdrawn where a Tier 4 student visa is not granted, or is subsequently withdrawn.
Up to date details of the Tier 4 Student Immigration Rules and application procedures can be found on the UK Border Agency website
Further information and guidance on student visas can be obtained from UEL’s International Student Advice team.
The University reserves the right to withdraw a scholarship award if the conditions outlined above are not met.
How and when to apply
Applicants must hold an offer for the MSc NGO and Development Management Programme before applying for this scholarship.
In addition to submitting an online application, you are required to email a supporting testimonial/ reference from a previous employer or academic tutor demonstrating that you meet the criteria, including financial status. This should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org after you have submitted the online application.
The deadline to submit your application and testimonial is Friday 13th July 2012. Applications will not be accepted after this date.
Applications will be assessed according to merit and financial need by a selected panel at the University of East London and International Students House. The panel may request to interview applicants over the telephone. Candidates who are selected for interview will be notified of this by telephone and email.
The panel will make their final selections by marking the quality of the application and interview (where applicable), the preparedness for the high quality study in the discipline area, the articulation of how the Scholarship will contribute to the applicant’s study goals, personal development and long term career gains in making a positive contribution to the development of their home country.
Notification of Scholarship Outcome
The successful applicant will be notified by telephone and email by 30th July 2012. They will then be sent an award letter which may be required for visa purposes. The award letter will be posted to the correspondence address on your application form. You must inform us (by emailing email@example.com) if your contact details change so that we can contact you at the correct address.
The scholar will receive an acceptance form with their award letter and this must be returned by email. If you do not consent to the terms and conditions of the scholarship, it will have to be withdrawn.
Unsuccessful applicants will be informed of the final decision by email.
If you have any further questions regarding the scholarship, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please visit official website