Postgraduate Scholarships, Open Society Foundations / University of Nottingham, UK
The scholarships are available for study for:
- MPA Public Health
- MPH Public Health (International Health)
- MA Environmental Management
- LLM in Human Rights Law (modules relating to Mental Disability and International Human Rights are available within these courses)
- LLM International Law
- MA Social and Global Justice
- MA Global Citizenship, Identities and Human Rights
- MA International Social Policy
Each scholarship provides twelve months’ tuition fees at the University of Nottingham, a stipend to cover living costs (for one person only), and return air travel from the scholar’s home country.
The scholarships are open to applicants from Azerbaijan, Indonesia, Egypt, and Lebanon.
- be nationals of, and resident in one of the selected countries during the academic year in which they apply for the award; applicants who are temporarily out of the country (for a total period of less than three consecutive months) may be treated as being resident;
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential;
- already hold (or expect to hold by the time of taking up the award) a degree of an equivalent standard to a good UK second-class Honours degree;
- have passed an appropriate English language test by the time of taking up the award;
- not have already received or be currently receiving financial benefit from a previous HMG fully funded Scholarship;
- return to their home country at the end of their scholarship period to continue their studies / work there.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously studied outside of their home country.
Employees, employees’ relatives (or former employees who have left employment less than two years before) of local Open Society Foundations representative offices in the region and eligible countries, and the participating universities will not be eligible to apply for these awards.
Application forms are avaialble for download or can be obtained from your local Open Society Foundations Educational Advising Center or Open Society Foundations representative office in your country.
Applicants will need to complete:
- The University Postgraduate Application Form: please read it carefully and enclose all additional documents requested in the application form.
- The separate Scholarship Application Form.
- The Self-Assessment Form whereby you acknowledge your compliance with the eligibility criteria for this scholarship program.
The completed forms and supporting documents must be returned to your local Open Society Foundations representative office no later than February 6, 2012. One original set of the application pack and two photocopies thereof must be submitted.
Applicants from Egypt and Lebanon should mail their applications to:
Ms Inga Pracute
Program Coordinator, Open Society Foundation-London
100 Cambridge Grove
London W6 0LE
Short-listed applicants will be invited for an interview and an English language test in their home country during April 2012. Applicants should keep their schedules free for these dates. Applicants will be informed by the local Open Society Foundations representative office whether they have been shortlisted or not. Interviews will be carried out by representatives of the Open Society Foundations. In certain cases, there may also be a panel member representing the interests of the University.
Final awards will be decided jointly by the University and the Open Society Foundations.
Please note that all successful applicants will be invited to attend a one-month preparatory academic writing summer school in August 2012. The Open Society Scholarship Programs’ Pre-Academic Summer Program is designed to prepare scholarship grantees for a successful academic experience in the UK. Successful applicants will be provided with the opportunity to refine their research and writing skills through intensive courses in academic writing and social sciences. The exact date and location of the summer school will be available at a later stage in the selection process.
For more information, please visit official website.