The structured PhD program “Global Food Security” is offered in English language and is characterized by:
- Competitive selection of doctoral students, using transparent criteria;
- Supervision by experienced scientists from various academic fields (“multifaceted supervision” – in personal and interdisciplinary terms);
- Continuous assessment of the training and doctorate studies by the supervisory team;- Doctoral courses with the objective of imparting methodological, professional and interdisciplinary competence and key qualifications;
- Graduation after 3 years.
FSC awards 10 scholarships for PhD students from developing countries (see OECD DAC list) for a period of 36 months, beginning September 01, 2012 (with a month German language course). The Center wishes to attract outstanding PhD students pursuing a career in academia or development collaboration. The scholarship aims at increasing their previously gained scientific knowledge and skills relevant to food security related issues. The successful candidates will receive scholarships for participating in the PhD program “Global Food Security” to conduct their doctorates.
The scholarship is given for a stay at the University of Hohenheim in Stuttgart, Germany. The monthly grant is EUR 1,000 (for the time in Germany, EUR 500 for the time of the field research). In addition, FSC pays for traveling to/from Hohenheim. Health insurance and other costs must be paid for from the stipend.v
To find out more about Excellence scholarships, please click here to download the brochure.
The PhD program aims at young scientists from developing and developed countries from all continents, who are:
- Completed graduate studies in agricultural, nutritional, natural, social, economic or political sciences, or related disciplines (preferably with a focus related to food security issues);
- Outstanding study performance: excellent or very good Master`s degree or equivalent with a grade of A (exceptions B);
- Track record of knowledge in the proposed field of study;
- Excellent proficiency in oral and written English (TOEFL with a minimum of 213 points computer based, 550 points paper based, 79 points internet based or equivalent is precondition);
Besides the general selection criteria for the PhD program “Global Food Security”, the following criteria have to be met additionally, if applying for an “Excellence scholarship”:
- Latest academic degree completed no more than 6 years prior to start of scholarship;
- Indication for return to his/her home country and institute;
- Be a national of a developing country according to OECD DAC list.
How to apply?
The applicant has to submit the application documents (proof of the eligibility items mentioned above for the PhD program and scholarship) for the PhD program “Global Food Security” and indicate in FSC`s application form, whether s/he applies for an “Excellence scholarship”. In addition to the general application, the applicant has to provide proof regarding the additional selection criteria mentioned above.
The deadline for the application for an “Excellence scholarship” is October 26th, 2011. To apply, please click here to download the application form. There is one joint application and selection process. Applications will only be accepted, if the research proposal is based on one of the research themes suggested on the “List of research themes” (can be found here).
Please send your application (only!) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
FSC will confirm the receipt of all (complete) applications (i.e., if an application is not complete or not in the above described format, FSC will not consider it and will not confirm receipt of the application).
The selection of the candidates will be in December, 2011, the program will start on September 1, 2012.
All accepted applications will be selected according to the following criteria:
- Fulfillment of announcement criteria
- Quality of proposal and project feasibility
Deadline: 26 October 2011
Food Security Center
70599 Stuttgart, Germany
Phone +49 711 45924455
Fax +49 711 45924456
The Official Website