The award is renewable for four years, subject to the following requirements:
- Maintain satisfactory and timely academic progress towards their degree and remain in good academic standing.
- Maintain at least a 3.5 GPA in mathematics courses
- Declare a mathematics major upon admission and remain in the major
- Pass the basic exam by the end of their third year of studies
- To continue their scholarship for the fourth year, the applicants must apply and be accepted into the Departmental Scholars Program, which leads to a simultaneous Bachelors (BS) and Masters (MA) degrees.
Scholarship recipients follow a specialized advanced program of studies, including individual study with UCLA Mathematics professors.
Eligibility Requirements and application process.
- 12th grader (or equivalent) applying to UCLA for admission for the Fall quarter.
- Outstanding academic record and standardized test scores.
- Evidence of exceptional background and promise in mathematics. Such evidence includes placing in the top 25% in the U.S.A. Mathematics Olympiad (USAMO) or comparable (International Mathematics Olympiad level) performance on a similar national competition.
- Strong preference will be given to International Mathematics Olympiad medalists.
- Applicant must also submit the official UCLA admissions application by its deadline (this year, November 30th).
- To apply, please fill out the Meric Scholarship application on Mathprograms.org by November 30, 2010. The direct link is: http://www.mathprograms.org/db/programs/36