Up to 10 prestigious scholarships may be available in the mid year round of scholarships for 2010 to outstanding international students from any country undertaking postgraduate research in any academic discipline.
The ASI provides:
1. Course tuition fees for two years for a Masters degree by Research and three years for a Doctoral research degree (an extension is possible for doctoral programs only);
2. Health insurance cover for students; and
3. An annual living allowance of approximately $22,250 (2010 value) for the normal duration of the program.
Applicants should hold at least the equivalent of an Australian First Class Honours degree. This is a four year degree with a major research project in the final year. Other criteria that will be taken into consideration is undergraduate performance, bachelor and honours awards and scholarships, other postgraduate degrees, publications in internationally refereed journals, the presentation of conference papers and relevant industry experience.
Applications for these scholarships are always highly competitive. Generally ASI recipients have completed a Masters degree including a significant research component and have several publications and relevant work and research experience.
* ASI Scholarship will be awarded strictly on academic merit. Extra-curricular achievements will not be considered.
* Citizens and Permanent Residents of Australia, and citizens of New Zealand are ineligible.
* Those undertaking research via remote candidature are ineligible.
* International applicants are not eligible for an ASI if they have already commenced the degree for which they are seeking an award, unless they can establish that they were unable to apply for an ASI in the last round of the previous calendar year.
* International applicants who have not provided evidence of their meeting English language proficiency requirements by the closing date are not eligible for an ASI.
* International applicants must not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to an Australian Research Doctorate degree or, if undertaking a Research Masters degree, not hold a research qualification regarded by the University of Adelaide to be equivalent to or higher than an Australian Research Masters degree.
* Candidates are required to enrol in the University of Adelaide as ‘international students’ and must maintain ‘international student’ status for the duration of their enrolment in the University.
* Scholarships are available for the normal duration of the program, subject to satisfactory progress. For students enrolled in a PhD, extensions beyond three years and six months require the approval of the Graduate Scholarships Committee and would only be approved in exceptional circumstances.
* Scholarships holders must commence study at The University of Adelaide in Semester 2, 2010. No ASI may be commenced after 30 November.
* Scholarship winners will not be permitted to defer commencement until 2011.
* Applicants who applied in previous international scholarship rounds are not eligible to apply again.
We strongly recommend that all applicants submit their application and all required documents well before the closing date. Incomplete applications at the scholarship application deadline will not be considered for a scholarship.
Current status: Open (2011 Major International Scholarship round). Deadline: 31 August.
Postgraduate Research Application Form