Value and purpose of grant : The grant will cover expenses incurred in travelling to and from the Netherlands (a maximum of 4 times) and the living costs during the stay at the RUG. A moderate research budget can be granted, if judged necessary by the academic supervisor.
Grant award period : In the case of Ph.D. researchers from developing countries, the grants will usually be awarded for a maximum of a four-year period.
Other details :
Part of the research should be conducted in the home country and part in Groningen.
The criteria for approval cover the following topics:
1. Academic excellence. This is shown by the academic performance of the students and may be confirmed by letters of recommendation from university professors.
2. The contribution of the candidate’s education in terms of strengthening the scientific capacity in the domestic development country.
3. The perspectives of contribution to a long-term linkage between the university in the developing country and the University of Groningen.
4. A proper balance between male and female candidates.
5. Spreading over various disciplines (faculties).
6. Regional spreading over various continents.
Eligible candidates for scholarship grant:
-have a good knowledge of the English language.
-be in good health, so that health insurance in the Netherlands can be
-be available for the whole period of the fellowship and be able to take part in the entire study programme.
-have no other means of financing the study.
-Their education should strengthen the academic capacity.
- the applicant should be employed by a research institute or university in a developing country
- the application should also be supported by this organisation.
- the University of Groningen must be able to provide an academic supervisor who will be responsible for the scientific supervision of the research.
Applications must include :
In principle, applications for research grants may only be submitted by individuals from developing countries if endorsed by a professor of the University of Groningen and with the support of their home institution / partner university. The application should contain an elaborated research proposal or pre-proposal. The application may also be submitted by the academic supervisor at the University of Groningen or at the home institute in the developing country.
Grant provider : Eric Bleumink Fund, University Groningen
For additional information of rules and registration read here
Send applications to :
The office of the Ubbo Emmius Fonds
Telephone: +31 (0)50 363 7595
Fax: +31 (0)50 363 7598
Eric Bleumink Fund
University of Groningen
Post Box 72
9700 AB Groningen